1. C&O Pikeville passenger depot from the east end. REA or express office in foreground. Cupola on roof used to control crossing gates when switching. Grayhound used depot as a bus terminal, but C&O freight agent also used part of depot building. 03-05-1972. Pikeville KY.
2. An eastbound C&O coal train leaving the south end of Pikeville from a view point where the Cut-Thru would begin. 08-01-1972. Pikeville KY.
3. The railroad would be moved out of town in a few years. Here an eastbound C&O empty coal train passes the old freight depot on the right. That’s Hellier St. on the left. 06-26-1973. Pikeville KY.
4. C&O Manifest freight No. 97 passes the Citation Coal tipple across from Roy Goff’s Furniture and at the end of the upper bridge. Work on the Cut-Thru is well along. 07-18-1976. Pikeville KY.
5. An eastbound C&O empty coal train passes the upper bridge and Roy Goff’s. 05-27-1977. Pikeville KY.
6. Eastbound C&O manifest freight No. 192 comes slowly through town as a car crosses the Elm Street crossing beside Big Sandy Wholesale. 05-10-1978. Pikeville KY.
7. The pole line for the railroad’s telephone lines and signal code lines is up. The track is in place but not yet surfaced. 06-25-1978. C&O in Pikeville KY.
8. Tamping ballast around the ties. 07-01-1978. C&O in Pikeville KY.
9. C&O No. 97 passes the west end of the cut on 07-02-1978. Pikeville KY.
10. A westbound coal passes the East Kentucky Collieries’ Dana Sue tipple on Cline St. across from Shurtleff’s Laundry. The passage of C&O trains through Pikeville are drawing to a close. 07-02-1978. Pikeville KY.
11. C&O Manifest freight No. 97 makes the first run over the new track through the Cut-Thru. 07-07-1978. Pikeville KY.
12. On the ground are Pike Co. judge executive Wayne Rutherford and Pikeville Mayor William Hambley (deceased). In the blue shirt with tie is C&O road foreman of engines Paul Kelly (deceased). The other three are the train crew. 07-07-1978. C&O in Pikeville KY.
12. Two years later on 06-25-1980 a work train removes the abandoned former C&O main line track through downtown Pikeville. The passing siding on the left has already been taken up. In a few years Hambley Blvd. and the Hilton and Hampton Inn hotels would dominate this scene. C&O in Pikeville KY.