We stayed the night in Reading close to the Outer Station.
1. I had ordered our tickets by phone previously from the office in Schuylkill Haven depot. R&N 2019 Fall Foliage Steam Excursion.
2. R&N 4-6-0 225 is ex-Railtours, exx-Steamtown, nee-Canadian Pacific. Reading PA.
3. Kinda’ late for a 4-6-0 in the US, but not in Canada. RBMN 225. Reading PA.
4. RBMN “Outer Station” parking lot. Parking was well organized. Reading PA.
5. RBMN 2532-2010-3054. Reading PA. View 2.
6. RBMN “GP39RN” 2532 (2500 HP) is ex-LTEX, exx-BNSF, nee-AT&SF. Reading PA.
7. RBMN 2532-2010-3054. Reading PA. View 3.
8. R&N Fall Foliage Train Excursions brochure.
9. Arriving Port Clinton PA. This is the operational hub of the RBMN/R&N. RBMN 425.
10. Boarding passengers at Port Clinton PA. RBMN 425.
11. Departing Port Clinton PA at 9:59 AM. RBMN 425.
12. Passing a Hall signal. RBMN 425. Departing Port Clinton PA.
13. Rounding Black Oak Curve and approaching PA 61 at Moleno PA. 10:09 AM. RBMN 425.
14. Reynolds PA at 10:38 AM. RBMN 425.
15. Approaching Tamaqua yard. RBMN 425. Tamaqua PA.
16. Clear signal at Tamaqua PA. 10:50 AM. I want to add that the R&N doesn’t poke around with their excursions or freights. RBMN 425.
17. Clear signal at Haucks (pronounced “hawks”). I might add that occasionally the high-drivered Pacific slipped. From East Mahanoy Junction to Haucks were are on a remnant of Reading’s Catawissa Branch.
18. Now on the former CNJ we cross the headwaters of the Little Schuylkill River on 168-foot high Hometown trestle. The trestle was built to support a second track, but that need never developed. Nevertheless CNJ ran a daily freight that connected with the Reading at Haucks. The Catawissa Branch handled most of Reading’s freight trains between Reading and Newberry Jct. where interchange was made with the NYC and Erie. RBMN 425. Hometown PA trestle.
19. RBMN 425 arriving Jim Thorpe (formerly known as Mauch Chunk) at 12:13 PM. On the roundhouse lead is SW8 900 (ex-Conrail, exx-E-L nee-Lackawanna). CNJ had a yard and engine terminal here. Jim Thorpe PA.
20. RBMN 9168-9166. 9168 is a Budd RDC-1 built in 1951. It has had a variety of owners but was originally NYC. Jim Thorpe PA.
21. On this railroad, 425 used to have its headlight mounted where the bell is. That’s where it was placed in Gulf, Mobile & Northern days. I like the headlight where it is now. RBMN 425-5033. Jim Thorpe PA.
22. RBMN 425. Jim Thorpe PA.
23. With bell ringing, 425 backs to the turntable. RBMN 425-5033. Jim Thorpe PA.
24. Delta Trailer Truck manufactured by Commonwealth Steel Co. With Pullman Car & Manufacturing Co., Baldwin, ALCo and American Steel Foundries acquired Commonwealth. In 1929 the name was changed to General Steel Castings Corp. RBMN 425.
All for now. We are going downtown to eat and check out the festival. Our train starts boarding at 3:05 PM.