1. U23B 3922-2619 switch at the north end of Montview Yard, Lynchburg VA. On 04-12-1987. Southern Ry.
2. U23B 3922-2619. That metal yard office with the tower has been replaced since 1987. See the following photos. Southern Ry. Montview Yard.
3. U23B 3922-2619. View 3. Southern Ry. Montview Yard.
4. I’m not sure whether this was a yard job or local. It departed heading north. Southern Ry. Montview Yard.
5. Southern Ry. View 2. Montview.
6. NS SD40-2s 6123-3517 on PM11 yard/local job. Montview VA.
7. NS 6123 is ex-N&W, having been built in 1975. 3517 came from Helm Leasing. It started life in 1978 as BN 7065 and later BNSF 7065. Both are equipped with electronic hand brakes and air conditioning. View 2. Montview VA.
8. NS 6123-3517. View 3. Montview VA.
9. PM11 went north and came back later with the engines in facing in the opposite direction. That complicated arrangement of connections and bridges at Durmid probably accounted for that. NS 6123 7598. Montview VA.
10. NS No. 159-25 (Crewe, VA – Linwood, NC) paused at the Montview yard office for a crew change. Nothing remains at Monroe. It evidently came through the connection at Durmid from the former N&W Blue Ridge District. NS 7598-8390-6787.
11. NS 7598-8390-6787 arrived with 28 lds/52 mtys. View 2. Montview VA.
12. After working at the south end of the yard 159-25 will depart with 9/27. NS 7598-8390-6787. View 3. Montview VA.
13. This map appeared in the Feb. 1990 issue of Railpace Newsmagazine in an article “Railfanning Lynchburg Virginia, City of Trestles”. Lynchburg rail map.
14. Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 156 (Roanoke – New York) speeds north on Sunday, 08-26-2018, with 8 cars behind engine 184 at 10:04 AM. Photographed from Riverside Park in Lynchburg. The C&O is just below us.
15. Amtrak No. 20, the Crescent, heads north on 07-11-1998 with 13 cars at 9:20 AM. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
16. CR 3339-NS 8072 come across the James River bridge with southbound Roadrailer train 265 (Hagerstown, MD – East Point, GA) with 71 vans. 07-11-1998. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
17. CR 6747-5559-733 are on northbound No. 214 (Atlanta – Hagerstown-CR). 07-11-1998. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
18. NS 8658-8610-8955 head northbound freight No. 154 (Birmingham – Hagerstown-CR) with 91 cars. 07-11-1998. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
19. NS GP50s 7021-7024-7077 hustle 71 piggyback flats north on No. 222 on 08-02-1987. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
20. Southern FP7 3496 leads a northbound NRHS special out of Lynchburg after 611-1218 brought it over from Roanoke. 08-02-1987. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
21. A friend recently sent me this photo of Lynchburg Union Station looking east in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The roof of N&W’s X Tower is in the foreground. N&W station Lynchburg VA. No date. Aubrey Wiley collection.
All for now.