1. North portal of Lookout Mountain Tunnel near Chattanooga TN, FKA Alabama Great Southern. L&N (NC&StL) runs between Southern and the Interstate highway through these narrows with the Cumberland River.
2. L&N (SBD) 8145-Sou 3178-3120 head south with the SMEX (South Mississippi Electric Power Assoc.) coal train for Purvis MS. This train loaded at the Alamo mine near Pineville KY on the L&N. This train had a L&N caboose. 06-18-1982.
3. Crew of No. 2, the n/b Southern Crescent, changing crews at the location FKA Birmingham Terminal Station. 01-29-1979.
4. Southern 6909-6905-6913 at the former location of Terminal Station in Birmingham AL. I think the Crescent was tri-weekly south of Atlanta at this time. A third E-8a was used for insurance against breakdown.
5. Heading north to Atlanta and eventually Washington, No. 2 passes the closed U. S. Pipe & Foundry blast furnaces at 32nd St. The former Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron landscape is now a city park and can be toured. By the way Sloss never took the process far enough to to produce steel – SSS&I and USP&F only produced iron for pipe, etc. Birmingham’s skyline is in the background. US 11 and L&N is on the other side of the mill. 01-29-1979.
6. Looks like another rail-fan is riding No. 2 this day as the train picks up speed for Irondale and Atlanta.
7. Southern 5063-2679-2572-2714 with a s/b freight pass Sloss with an 83-car train out of Norris Yard at Irondale. Close to 32nd St. Southern, Central of Ga., Frisco, L&N and SAL converged.
8. Southern 2681-2555 worked local and coal mines out of Columbus MS. Our mission, however, was to shoot the Columbus & Greenville Baldwins. 05-12-1977.
9. The line from Alton Park Yard in Chattanooga TN to Gadsden AL, is the former Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia Ry. Sou Crescent Div map.
10. This map of the Alabama Div. shows other Southern lines around Birmingham and the branch to Columbus MS from Parrish AL which was in a coal field. Sou Ala Div map.