After visiting several railroad places in Lynchburg during the C&OHS Convention in August 2018, I decided to dig out some slides taken in the past to compare.
1. Kemper St. station has been renovated over the years. Amtrak uses just a portion on track level. The schedule taped to the window was for old trains 171-176 and 145-156 that originated at Lynchburg. A C&OHS member told the schedule was the same as before other than it originated and terminated in Roanoke. 08-23-2018. Amtrak Kemper St station. Lynchburg VA.
2. Looking south from Kemper St. platform through a couple of street overpasses. NS Kemper St Tunnel. Lynchburg VA.
3. Southern Ry E-8a 6913 on 2nd No. 2, the northbound Southern Crescent in the cold early morning hours of Dec. 27, 1977. It was running in two sections because of heavy post Christmas ridership. Lynchburg VA.
4. My able assistant Sue shivered as I popped off the flash bulbs. Southern Ry E-8a 6913. View 2. Lynchburg VA.
5. Amtrak No. 16 northbound arrives Lynchburg 9:59 AM (runs later on Sat. and Sun.) from Roanoke behind engine 84 and 8 cars. Saturday, 08-25-2018. Lynchburg VA.
6. Amtrak P42DC 84. The track in the lower right corner was where the train was parked before its run was extended to Roanoke. That NS freight was parked on Main 2 for over a day. View 2. Lynchburg VA.
7. A lot of passenger boarded for the northbound run. Amtrak tr 16. View 3. Lynchburg VA.
8. Amtrak Tr 16. View 4. Lynchburg VA.
9. Amtrak Tr 16. View 5. Lynchburg VA.
10. Amtrak Tr 16. View 6. Lynchburg VA.
11. ATK coach 82616. View 7. Lynchburg VA.
12. Amtrak Tr 16 leaves at 10:01 AM. View 8. Lynchburg VA.
13. NS 9526-9714-7634-8464-7516 are parked on track 2 at Kemper St. station on Friday, 08-25-2018. 35Q-23 (Allentown PA - Linwood NC) had 32 lds/38 mtys. It was still parked here on Sunday morning. Lynchburg VA.
14. NS 35Q-23 parked at Kemper St. station. Note the Reading & Northern hoppers and covered hopper, both loaded for anthracite. The hoppers were going to Kinder Morgan’s terminal in Charleston SC from a ramp at Good Spring PA. The covered hoppers were going to Platinum Machine in Durant OK and Nucor Steel in Kinsler SC. The covered hoppers were loaded at Hazleton Shaft breaker near Hazleton PA. More on those cars later. NS 9526. Lynchburg VA.
15. NS steel ties on the siding where the Lynchburg Amtrak train used to be parked. Lynchburg VA.
16. Second No. 1, the southbound Southern Crescent, changes crew at Monroe VA on the evening of Dec. 26, 1977. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
17. Southern Ry. GP35 2688 and 5025 wait for a crew before proceeding on to Potomac Yard on Dec. 26, 1977. Note the ALCo trucks. Lynchburg VA.
18. GP50s 7003-7051 and SD40-2 3122 are waiting to leave Monroe Va. with southbound freight No. 173. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
19. No. 173 leaving town for Spencer. “This is not 141 but ol’ 173, gotta get her into Spencer on time.” Southern Ry. LynchburgVA.
20. No. 173 leaving town for Spencer. View 2. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
21. No. 173 leaving town for Spencer. View 3. Southern Ry. Lynchburg VA.
22. Southern 181. I don’t know whether this was a local or a yard job. Lynchburg VA.
23. GP18 181 came to Southern when it took over the Norfolk Southern. Southern added the high short hood to a chop-nosed unit. Lynchburg VA.
24. Southern Eastern Div - Salibury to Monroe Northbound. 1981. First Class.
25. Southern Eastern Div - Salibury to Monroe Northbound. 1981. Second Class.
26. Southern Eastern Div - Monroe to Salibury Southbound. 198.1 First Class.
27. Southern Eastern Div - Monroe to Salibury Southbound. 1981. Second Class.
All for now.